Thursday 11 September is R U OK Day all around Australia. A day to start a conversation and connect with those around you to ensure their well-being. For more information go to www.ruok.org.au.
The steps involved are as follows:
- Ask R U OK? Be specific if you are concerned.
- Listen without judgement or interruption and provide empathy.
- Encourage action, identify at least the first step to take. Refer for professional help if needed.
- Follow-up no longer than a week later and provide ongoing support.
The Pharmacists’ Support Service (PSS) is about pharmacists supporting pharmacists. PSS is available to all Australian pharmacists, interns and pharmacy students every day of the year between 8am and 11pm on 1300 244 910. The service provides anonymity to all callers and is as close as your phone when you need to talk. If you are aware of a colleague who might benefit from some support please pass on the PSS phone number 1300 244 910 or call us to discuss how you can help.
More information about PSS and some useful resources for pharmacists can be found on the PSS website at www.supportforpharmacists.org.au.
PSS relies on the generosity of the profession to continue its work. Donations to PSS can be made by direct deposit into the Pharmacists’ Support Service bank account BSB 083170 account number 145988064 with an email to email@example.com detailing your name and contact details so that a receipt can be issued. Cheques can be sent to Pharmacists’ Support Service c/o 381 Royal Pde, Parkville 3052. Donations can also be made over the phone using a credit card through the PSA (Victorian Branch) office on (03) 9389 4000.
PSS is an independent incorporated association which receives support from the following organisations which are all represented on the PSS Management Committee:
- Australian Friendly Societies Pharmacies Association
- Pharmaceutical Defence Ltd
- Pharmacy Guild of Australia
- Pharmaceutical Society of Australia
- Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria Ltd
- Professional Pharmacists Australia
- Society of Hospital Pharmacists of Australia
- National Australian Pharmacy Students’ Association.
More information from: John Coppock 0417 054 181 or Kay Dunkley 0407 755 598.