What are medical tests and why are they useful?
Medical tests are a range of checks and procedures used to:
- screen for possible illness
- diagnose the likely cause of symptoms
- monitor health conditions or the effects of treatment.
Is a medical test the best option?
Deciding whether a medical test is the best option involves weighing up several factors, especially the benefits and risks for your individual situation. For example:
- how likely it is that you have a problem or medical condition
- the test’s accuracy (including false positives and false negatives)
- any possible harms of doing the test
- the impact of uncertain or inconclusive results.
For health professionals, medical tests are an important part of medical practice. However, the wrong test may actually do more harm than good.
Quality use of medical tests means choosing the right test for the patient and using it at the right time.
NPS MedicineWise has compiled some of the latest evidence on medical tests commonly used in primary care.